A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over a tooth, covering the tooth with a purpose of restoring its shape and size and/ or improving its appearance. The crowns, when cemented into place, fully encase the entire portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line. Crowns are extremely durable and aesthetic
Why Is a Dental Crown Needed?
- To protect a weak tooth from decay or breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth.
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that is severely worn out.
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there is not sufficient tooth structure left.
- Tooth pain that is referred from a tooth to another area, such as neck, temple or the ear
- To hold a dental bridge in place.
- To cover misshaped or severely discoloured tooth.
- To cover a dental implant.
What Are Crowns Made Of?
Crowns can be made of acrylic, porcelain/ ceramic, metal or a combination of any of these.We, at K.B. Dental Clinic, decide on the type of dental crown, required to be provided to a patient after examining each case in detail and in consultation with the patient. All crowns are fabricated in our ultramodern and state-of-the-art laboratory by our specially trained and highly skilled professionals.
Types of Dental Crowns
There are three basic types of materials for dental bridges:
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM) dental bridges
- PAll porcelain/ ceramic dental bridges.
- All metal dental bridges (gold)